Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Tuscany in June

Just back from a glorious week in Tuscany. Such a beautiful part of the world, with it's rolling hills, olive groves and vineyards. The colours of the landscape are very similar to Australia, where the greens are more grey. There was so much to photograph, and I have many beautiful pics of all the vistas, buildings, cathedrals etc.....but for the purpose of this Post Uni blog, I am only going to post things that inspire me in terms of design. In Italy there was so much that did this, so it will take me a few blogs to cover it all. I would LOVE to design something in Italy, to use mediterranean plants, local stone and terracotta and to frame the amazing views.




I am not sure what the trees in the foreground are, but behind are the trunks of Pinus pinea, which is everywhere in the Italian landscape. I love the way they form an umbrella like canopy of shade.








Cupressus sempervirens, another common feature in the landscape. Sometimes I hate the way these trees are used in the UK, completely out of context. In Italy I love them dotted around everywhere and lining long drives.


This lichen covered, dry stone wall ran along the length of the garden at the villa we stayed at. Gorgeous.













Interesting paving detail. Not sure of the stone....anyone? But it is used in conjunction with travetine in alot of buildings.






r

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home